Tonight as Cole and I were trying to make a decision of what to eat, as we do every night, and always fail to have a good answer.....we finally chose this recipe below from here. It had 5 stars, said it was quick and easy (cooking is quick, as well as eating, but not combining of ingredients) but it was amazing so I thought I'd share.
CROQUE MONSIER MAC AND CHEESECook Time: 35 mins Level: Easy Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 pound ziti [we did the curly rontini]
- 2 cups milk [2% worked great]
- 2 cups coarsely grated gruyere cheese (about 6 ounces) [we used just Swiss instead, cheaper and totally the same]
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 slices white sandwich bread, roughly diced [we used wheat]
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt [we used regular table salt]
- 8 ounces thinly sliced deli-boiled ham [we did BACON....yum]
DirectionsPreheat the oven to 425 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the ziti and cook until al dente, about 6 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl; toss with 1/4 cup milk.
Meanwhile, combine both cheeses in a bowl. Beat 1/4 cup milk and the eggs in another bowl; fold in the bread and add half of the cheese.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over high heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until just brown, 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour, cayenne, nutmeg and 1 teaspoon Kosher salt; cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Slowly add 3/4 cup water and the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk; bring to a boil, stirring until thickened. Remove from the heat and whisk to cool slightly. Whisk in the remaining cheese, then add the pasta and toss.
Butter a shallow casserole dish. Add half of the pasta, top with some of the ham and cover with the remaining pasta. Top with the remaining ham, then cover with the bread mixture. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Let rest a few minutes before serving.
AND HERE WAS OUR RESULT:
And we also had this:
Hope you all enjoy your evening and dinner!